Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Manitoban Online - Not allowed to recruit on campus ...

The Manitoban Online - Not allowed to recruit on campus ...: "There has been controversy recently over whether or not the Canadian Forces should be permitted to recruit on university campuses. In September, student protestors at York University clashed with recruitment officers over a booth set up for a career fair. The York Federation of Students (YSF) and the Grassroots Anti-Imperialist Network (GRAIN) believe the Canadian Forces (CF) are in direct conflict with the standards of the university regarding human rights."


Really, I've never thought about militant university students being against the CF. I suppose I'm sort of ignorant. I'll take that pay cheque from the man. However, I believe the role of a military is to be the "pointy stick" of a nation. Baby Hugging, Politics and handshaking make the international law and policies, but somebody has to carry them out. When it comes to international law, the military becomes the face of the country. Therefore, the military's actions should reflect the view of nation through it's elected representatives. So if these so called activist are protesting against the CF recruiting on campus, I believe they are saying the nation as a whole is corrupt and violates human rights. So why not attack it at the source, the body, rather then at the stick it holds?

I guess what I'm trying to say, is a common speech for me. If you don't like what your country, your military, your city, your whatever is doing, then get involved and change it. But to protest against the CF recruiting on university campus, that's just lazy. Shut your mouth, go to Ottawa and make a difference. The nation will be better for it.

No comments: