Sunday, August 14, 2005

National Post: "Comrades knew him as 'a soldier's soldier,'"




While this is a bit late, I did not forget the death of Sgt. Ernest (Smokey) Smith. I feel like I do not have to say much this time. I don't have to hype a Canadian legend, who by all accounts, probably wouldn't have enjoyed the hype in the first place. The Canadian media (for a change) has been amazing with it's coverage. I am so pleased to see the coverage and honor that Canada, as a nation has put in celebrating his life. As a soldier, I felt honored to be able to pay my last respects to him, while he laid in state in Vancouver on Friday. I felt proud to be a Canadian, when I was able to witness the work and detail that was put on to honor Smokey's life.

However, during the celebration of Smokey's life, I hope a brief moment can be had remembering our current soldiers. Right now, there are brave Canadian soldiers patrolling the streets of Kandahar right now. There are families in Canada missing their loved ones, hoping for the best as they conduct these dangerous patrols. As Smokey did 60 years ago, I know that the soldiers currently in Kandahar aren't doing it for the glory or the recognition, they are doing it because they are Canadian soldiers, and that's their job. So as we mark the death of a true Canadian hero, perhaps over a glass of scotch in true Smokey style, I hope Canadians can take a moment to remember the sacrifices made by it's current soldiers and families.

No comments: