Sunday, June 20, 2004

In the last 6 months, I've gone from a commercial radio to a public radio. A lot of people groan on the thought of anything cbc radio related. However, I believe it's a national gem. Getting away from the Toronto, the Rock and Roll centre of Canada, it's a bit more challenging to find and be introduced to new music. Or so I thought. Actually, moving away from southern Ontario, has encouraged me to seek out new music sources. Mostly from independent and non-commercial bands. The Best source that I have found it College and university radio, along with CBC radio 2 and the online Cbc Radio 3. I was quite surprised to find out how cool radio 3 is. The (weekly?) produced web-zine reads like a magazine, and it's very good introduction to what's going musically in Canada. CBC Radio 3 seems to have a no-boundaries approach to music, but don't go looking for the information on Ryan Malcom or Nickelback. This week the featured street level look at NxNE in Toronto. They captured some great performances. My favorite was Kinnie Starr performing at the (Legendary) Horseshoe Tavern. I had heard of her, took the time to explore her music. I must say I was very impressed. The next time she does a show locally, I will be sure to attend.

No comments: