Monday, April 18, 2005

Napster/Itunes Fair Use

The concept of buying DRM music has pissed me off for awhile. A couple years ago, when record companies were all hyped up over pushing DRM protected cds, I stopped by any cd that had any sort of DRM on it. The majority of my music colleciton has been converted into mp3, so why would a buy a cd that i couldn't rip?

Fastforward to 2005, and we are now living generation I(pod). I personally have not bought anything from online stores. I have two major reasons why 1. Buying the album vrs downloading it, I have the physical album. What Happens to all purchased music if you have harddrive failure? 2. I'm slowly moving everything over to Linux, alot of DRM'd music simply don't support linux.

That being said, i'm increaslying tempted d/l music from a pay service, when i can't find a good copy of the floating around. A great example of this is "Beverly Hills" by Weezer. I am making a spring mixed cd, and I'd like to include it. However, the album is not out yet, so i can't rip it. The versions I have downloaded from various file-sharing services are radio-rips or are damaged. Finally, I don't want a broken DRM'd version of the song that i can't listen to on my laptop or Mythbox. I would be happy to pay $.50->$.99 for a good clean version of Beverly Hills - In a format I can use such as MP3 or OGG

It looks like this may be the case in future if i want to circumvent the drm from napster or itunes (The itunes hack has been around for awile, but itunes only became avaible in Canada in the last 6 months). Musik release seems to be a result of reversing both the itunes and napster clients, and allows linux users to use the songs that they have legally purchased on their platform of choice. What a concept!

Realm of the BlackBlade Clan » Musik Release

No comments: