Friday, January 14, 2005

Ahh. Canadian Music. I belive it's been said that art is a reflection of culture. I think tonight's Canada for Asia is a true reflection of our culture and provided a glimpse of what "Canada" true represents. Some where between the gangly, but somewhat between beutiful Dan lanois (SP?) and the barenaked blue-grass inspired version of "one week" , a very unique Canadian experience happend.. With Ron Mclean as the host. (Aside, In what other country is would a a geeky sports icon like Ron MacLean get chosen to host an event of such important meaning?) The kickoff featuring a choir anchored by rock heavy weights Marc Jordan, Emm Gryner, Kalan Porter and Tom Cochrane. Now, I consider myself up on Canadian music. I love Emm gryner, and Tom Cochrane is cool, in that "Boy Inside the Man" kind way. I know he organized the event, but could you picture the american equivalent? It would probaby have Chris Rock or Regis Philbin hosting it. And the and glitz and ego of the American equalvant, which wasn't displayed at all during the show. Would the Grammys think to invite aborignals? Not unless they were part of some Dick Clark sideshow. The event wrapped up with a duet by Bryan Adams and Anne Murray. I suppose the only disappointment with the entire event is that they didn't somehow work in some well known hip hop. I know there was a couple R&B/Hip Hop peformances.. But I'm sure K-OS, could of been presuaded to play. As far as the finish. It was sort of weak. I'm thinking a mini "Tears are not enough" redux, centered with Anne, Bryan and Tom would of been an old-school cool.

On a completey unrelated note, but still dealing with Canadian music: I finally listened to the Fiest album, it is outstanding. Amazing is a ton of difference influences and still flowing throughout the album. It is a acoustic, jazzy, dancable soul masterpiece. I had already picked "mushaboom" as one of the top singles.. But I was very suprised how good the rest of the album is. I guess I should not expect any less from a founding member of The Broken Social Scene. It is now added to the list of best albums of 2004.

FEIST

No comments: