Wednesday, January 12, 2005

More Additions To Top Muisc of 2004..

The Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South
Ministry - Houses of the Molé

I havne't posted anything at all on my blog about my god damn sexy, KnoppMyth Box. I'm considering putting up a new blog, just for my Mythbox to track my changes, and show the world (like you care) what and how i have set it up. However, right now my box is very generic. I'm still just fine tuning the core componets, and making sure everythingis working. Currently, the Live TV broadcast still like to hang all the time. I have to get deep and dirty, and start really examining my /var/logs and seeing if anything is poking it's head up there.

anyways, in my tip #1, from "Prosonik's Bargin Basement Myth tips and Hacks"
-Use "Wget" to find the proper address of the streams, when adding new ones to Mythstream
For example. I want to listen to "CBC Radio 1".. Head off to their streaming page.. and take a look around.. CBC Radio is kind. When you click "Go directly to our full list of streaming URLs.", it takes a list of urls for cbc radio stations across the country. However, this is not terribly useful to us. We are are loooking for a "mms://xxx..xxx.xxx/CBC_RADIO"

Anyhow, with a little help of friend "WGET".. you do the following
mythtv@mythbox:~ $ wget http://origin.www.cbc.ca/mrl2/livemedia/cbcr1-vancouver.asx
then
mythtv@mythbox:~ $ pic cbcr1-vancouver.asx
.lf 1 cbcr1-vancouver.asx

As show, correct url for CBC Radio Vancouver is revealed. This trick works for almost all formats. I've seen people try to use Ethreal etc to examine the packets, but i think this is alot easier. This trick also works for any radio station that streams in MP3/OGG and realudio.. All you do, is look fo the "http://www.blab.com/radio.pls or radio.m3u or .ra. Wget that url, and again use pic to examine the file. Sometimes you can get really lucky and you have to do is examine the source of the webpage, for the same sort of string.

Welp, thats it. I feeel s-m-a-r-t




No comments: