Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Pardox of my brain. While a blog traditionaly a foroum for ones thoughts, opions, rantings and recouts of the day, my blog seems to be a mix-match diary of music, media, politics, ranting, and the odd truely personal moment. I'm sure a pyhcitrist would jump all over the fact i'd rather recount a funny pitchfork review, then spilt my brain and heart open to the mass-public. I know I could talk about so much. My recent trip back rock and roll trip back to Toronto. The Pixies and Hip concerts I have attended. I could rant about a family members birthday party, where it was an intresting and odd mix of current and past friends.. I could talk about George W and his canadian visit. Finally, I could rant chose of Tommy Douglas as the "Greastest Canadian". But I won't..

Gwen Stefani of No Doubt fame has a new solo record out. After only having the chance to hear the first single "What are you waiting for?", I had already decided that it was preety well a piece of trash. While sonically the track is catchy, however the lyrics are completly garbage.

"LOOK AT YOUR WATCH NOW!
YOU'RE STILL A SUPER HOT FEMALE!
YOU GOT YOUR MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT!
AND THEY'RE ALL WAITING FOR YOUR HOT TRACK!"



Nothing annoys me more then a rock star whinning about the pressures of rock stardom. I think another great example of this is "Hollywood", probably the biggest piece of shit Maddona has put out in recent years.

"I lost my memory in Hollywood
I've had a million visions bad and good
There's something in the air in Hollywood
I tried to leave it but I never could

Shine your light now
This time it's got to be good
You get it right now yeah
Cause you're in Hollywood"

I can't find anything rewarding about lyrics that whine about the fact that celeberity has effected their lives. I'm so sorry Gwen, that you have a million dollar contract, and by-god you have to produce a hit album. That's almost like having a job, and having actually to work. And Maddonna, I'm so sorry that the pressures of being super-star in hollywood has finally effected you. Especailly, now that you ran away to Britian, and my gosh, merried a director. There is no better way to espcape the business, then by marrying a person that help build it. Maybe Guy Ritchie could direct a movie about the pressures of being a birtish directory trying to be taking serisouly in the american film industry. The soundtrack could feature a deut with with Gwen and Madonna singing about the pressures of having celberity marriage. Maybe It could star Nicole Kidman, and have a cameo with Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz.

After reading the pitchfork review, I guess Im not the only one who doesn't approve of the new Gwen album. I almost fell off my chair laughing at the attached snippet from the review.


Gwen Stefani: Love Angel Music Baby: Pitchfork Review: "Gwen Stefani
Love Angel Music Baby
[Interscope; 2004]
Rating: 5.1

Gwen Stefani should stick to making bum flaps. Not quite a skirt, not quite a dish rag, the Stefani bum flap dangles off the guts of our divorced aunts and 12-year-old mall-slut daughters, the ones who steal Livestrong bracelets and dry-hump public schoolkids in Pac Sun dressing rooms. Bum flaps are these people's stars and stripes. Not all of us want to salute this flag, but it exists, and it gives America something else to believe in-- and it's not nearly as expensive as a valium addiction or Kaplan SAT course.

As widely predicted, 35-year old singer/fashionista Stefani has temporarily given up No Doubt to fully embrace a high-pop lifestyle with nary a pierced tongue in-cheek. The metamorphosis began with her Eve and Dr. Dre collaboration on 2001's killer single 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind', and is completed here with her solo debut Love Angel Music Baby, a spineless, starfucked advertisement for her high-end clothing line"

Finally, links to complete lyrics for both songs.

"Hollywood", Madonna

"What are you waiting for?", Gwen Stefani

No comments: