Sunday, February 20, 2005

Sunday morning. Arf. 4 posts yesturday. Can You tell I'm back in BC and bored/lonely?


Last summer, CBC Radio did "50 Tracks list of essential popular music".

Now they are back with 50 Tracks of Canadian pop songs

So far, they are up the 80's round 1. I'd have to say comparing the 80s, where they picked such songs (so far) as "Rise Up", "High School Confidential", to the 70s where they introduced such classics as "Takin' Care Of Business", "Heart of Gold", "American Women" and "Sundown", the 70's seem to still define "Candian Rock" as we know it. It's still preety hard to go a down and listen to rock radio in canada an not hear at least 1 of the songs from the 70s. I will agree that songs like "Try" by Blue Rodeo are amazing songs, and truely define a time in canadian music, I'm just not sure (unfortunally) if they have made the lasting impact like "American Women". Only "I'm and adult now", from the list has seemed to make a lasting impact on canadian music. I belive another eposide of the 80's is still to come. I'd like to see some early Tragically Hip, Bryan Adams, Rush, perhaps (laugh if you will) Men with out Hats or Glass Tiger. Can anybody question the fact the moronic "Safety Dance" is sill being played on Radio?

Anyway, Iove the "50 Songs" series. Again, CBC Radio does it again with a compelling reason for me to actually listen to the radio.

No comments: