Monday, March 14, 2005

Mondays' Myth(ical)quest for 5.1 Audio

Currently I have my Mythbox running out the line-out, to the line of my main XP computer, however, since the mythbox is the device i will be a)watching most of my movies and b)listening to music and d) I'm not big gamer, so i don't really care about sound, I have decided to hook my altec lansing 5.1 (analog) speaker up to my mythbox. However, if there was no 5.1 capabilty, there is no reason to do it. So, I have found this from the Xine website.. (I use xine within myth to play dvd's)..

xine - A Free Video Player: "Can xine produce 4-/5-channel surround audio output?

Yep, it can do that using OSS or ALSA drivers, provided that the driver supports it. However, since xine cannot detect if there are actually speakers connected to the additional channels, you'll have to activate that feature manually.

You can do this either in the config dialog while xine is running (press the config button on the xine panel and go to the AUDIO tab) or have it the complicated way by editing the config file yourself which is located in your home directory in .gxine or .xine:

audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Surround 4.0
audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Surround 4.1
audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Surround 5.1"

Finally, on recent dvd i have watched, I have noticed, they look like crap, looking into it further, it looks like i can post-process the signal, to get a sharper, cleaner picture. I would like to do this with mplayer, playing xvid's as well.. (I'm not sure about that, it will require some more research)

No comments: